I just love Fresh Pesto, the stuff from the stores just does not compare. Vegan Pesto is the same as normal Pesto but excludes Parmesan, which is exceptionally salty and overpowers the flavour of the Basil. Pesto is so versatile and fabulous to have in the fridge. I like it with Homemade Crostini*
I will not add the prices as I tend to make this when there is a bundle of Basil reduced (Usually on a Sunday). I got five bunches at 8p each (usually 70p). Pine Nuts are also fairly pricey, but they really compliment the Garlic and Basil The other option is of course to grow your own, we are currently growing some Purple Basil and are excited for Purple Pesto!
Ingredients for Vegan Basil Pesto
Makes a Good Sized Jar. Food Processor/Blender Required.
150 g Basil (Including Stems)
3 Cloves Garlic
100 g Pine Nuts
400 ml Olive Oil
Creating Vegan Basil Pesto
Prep Time: 10 minutes Make Time: 2 minutes
- Pick the Basil Leaves from the stems (Stems can be used to flavour a stock or a soup, feed to bunnies or compost).
- Peel the 3 Cloves Garlic
- Toast the 100 g Pine Nuts on a tray under the grill, until just browned (keep an eye them, they burn easily once toasted!)
- Add your Basil Leaves, Garlic and Pine Nuts to your Blender Jug
- Pour in roughly half the 400 ml Olive Oil & blend for 20 seconds
- If you have a spout part, continue to slowly pour the Olive Oil into the Pesto whilst it’s blending
- Stop every 10 seconds to check consistency and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula (if you have one)
- The consistency is your decision, so Stop adding Olive Oil & Stop blitzing when it is how you like it. I like a rough texture!
- When finished season with Salt & Black Pepper.
*Crostini’s are bread (usually stale slices of French Stick) brushed with Olive Oil & baked in the oven.
We will be writing a post about sowing soon, as we have just started our first veg patch, very exciting!