Macaroni Cheese Vegan Style
The kids love this it’s probably their favourite meal. The sauce is lovely & tasty & incredibly cheesy, with no cheese or vegan cheese substitute! I am trying my first post from my iphone so I am unsure how this will look…
Ingredients for Macaroni Cheese Vegan Style
Cheese Flavoured Sauce
- 150 g Cashew Nuts
- 200 g Butternut Squash
- 4 tsp Crushed Garlic
- 2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Miso Paste
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- Soya Milk
Macaroni Cheese Bake
- 200 g Macaroni
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Optional vegetables – I used Runner Beans, Leeks & Pepper
Creating Macaroni Cheese Vegan Style
- Wash hands
- Soak the 150g Cashew Nuts in freshly boiled water for at least an hour.
- Peel & dice the Butternut Squash. 200g is usually just under half.
- Drain the soaked Cashew Nuts and put into a pan with the diced Butternut Squash, 4 tsp Crushed Garlic & 2 tsp Rice Vinegar.
- Cover with water & simmer until the squash is soft, roughly 30 mins.
- When soft drain the ingredients.
- Gently warm 500ml Soy Milk with 1 tsp Liquid Smoke (do not let this get hot)
- In a blender add the drained ingredients along with 1 tsp Paprika, 2 tbsp Miso Paste, 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes, 1 tsp Dijon Mustard & half of the warmed Soy Milk.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes
- Then add the rest of the Soy Milk & blend for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl/jug & season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
- Cook 200g Macaroni.
- When drained add 2 tbsp Olive Oil.
- Add the cooked Macaroni to the Vegan Cheese Sauce & add any vegetables. Give it all a good stir & pour into a suitable dish to bake.
- Sprinkle over breadcrumbs & place in the oven on Gas 5 for 30 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are browned.