Celeriac & Cashew Nut Soup (Slow-Cook)
Celeriac, also known as Celery Root, is very versatile and delicious. It can be eaten raw in coleslaw and salads, roasted with other root vegetables or used in soups and stews. This Celeriac & Cashew Nut Soup (Slow-Cook) recipe is made with home-grown Celeriac from our garden but can be purchased from most farm shops or supermarkets.
We love a recipe that we can easily throw together and leave on slow-cook. This one is ideal for busy family life and provides a health dose of vitamin K and C. This is lovely served with Vegan Soda Bread.
Ingredients for Celeriac & Cashew Nut Soup
350 g Celeriac £0.45
(Or free if you have grown your own)
100 g Cashew Nuts £1.30
Top from 1 Large Leek (or a couple of small) £0.30
1 ltr Vegan Stock £0.10
1 tsp Dried Thyme £0.05
Total Cost £2.20 Cost per head £0.44
Creating Celeriac & Cashew Nut Soup
Prep Time 30 Minutes Cook Time 7 Hours (Slow-Cook)
Please note: I am using a Le Creuset (cast-iron ovenproof pan) to make this. If you are using a slow-cooker please follow instructions that came provided.
- First and Foremost Wash Your Hands!
- Wash & peel 350 g Celeriac
- Trim the Large Leek just above the white (this can be kept for another dish) Wash this well & thinly slice.
- Measure out 100g Cashew Nuts and 1 tsp Dried Thyme.
- Add all the ingredients to your slow-cooker or cast-iron pot.
- Make 1 ltr Vegan stock and cover the Vegetables & Cashew Nuts.
- Put the cast-iron pan with lid on in the oven on the lowest heat (Usually marked S or 1/2) for 8 hours.
- With an oven-cloth remove the pan from the oven & remove the lid.
- Using a hand-blender, blitz the soup until smooth.
- Add Salt & Pepper to taste.