Cashew, Cucumber & Coconut Curry
A really lovely dish originated in Sri Lanka that fits in perfectly with the change of seasons & even better if you have some homegrown cucumbers.
Ingredients for Cashew, Cucumber & Coconut Curry
Serves 4 as a main
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder (heat according to own taste)
- 1 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Lemongrass Paste
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 4 Cucumber
- Handful of Green Beans (optional)
- 200 g Cashew Nuts
- 2 tins of Coconut Milk
- Handful of Coriander
- 1 Lime
Creating Cashew, Cucumber & Coconut Curry
- Wash your hands
- Roughly dice the large Onion
- Add 2 tbsp Oil to a large pan & fry for 4-5 mins whilst occasionally stirring (until they start to brown)
- Add the 2 tbsp Curry Powder, 1 tbsp Turmeric, 1 tsp Ground Ginger, 2 tsp Lemongrass Paste & fry for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Whilst this is cooking prepare the 4 Cucumbers by cutting them down the middle longways, removing the seeds by scraping down with a spoon & then slicing them in to thick moon shaped slices.
- Add the sliced Cucumber to the Onions & Spices and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the tsp Salt, 2 tsp Sugar & the tbsp of Rice Vinegar and give a good stir.
- Next add the handful of green beans & the 200 g Cashew Nuts, stir for another 2 minutes.
- Finally add the 2 tins of Coconut Milk & leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- If you wish to thicken the sauce use a little cornflour, to thin it use a little water.
- Chop the handful of Coriander & stir it in before serving.
- When served finish with a little freshly squeezed Lime.