Apple & Oatbran Muffins
This recipe is based on Applesauce Oatbran Muffins from Veganomicon. Don’t be put off by the number of ingredients, they are easy to make, the kids created these from start to finish. We cut the sugar back from the original recipe and added some raisins to give a fruit cakey texture, which makes them a perfect to have for breakfast or afternoon snack with a cup of tea. If during these locked down times you do not have all the spices just use what you have, ground ginger would also make a good substitute. Instead of oat bran use blended oats, whole oats or the Oat Milk Pulp. Self-raising flour could be used instead of the (plain flour, bicarbonate of soda & baking powder).
Ingredients for Apple & Oatbran Muffins
1/2 tsp White Wine or Apple Cider Vinegar £0.05
200g Apple Sauce £0.60
75 g Brown Sugar £0.25
3 tbsp of your preferred Oil (we used Caratino Oil) £0.05
220 g Flour £0.10
50 g Oatbran £0.14
1 tsp Baking Powder £0.05
1/2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda £0.05
(We buy a large tub as great for cooking & cleaning)
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon £0.14
10 Cardamom Pods £0.18
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg or 1 Whole £0.10
75g Raisins £0.30
A Muffin tin or Cupcake tin with 12 Muffin cases
Total Cost £1.62 Cost per muffin £0.13
Creating Apple & Oatbran Muffins
Prep Time 30 Minutes Cook Time 30 Minutes
- First and Foremost Wash Your Hands!
- Combine the 175 ml Oat milk, 75 g Brown Sugar & 1/2 tsp Vinegar in a small bowl
- Give a little whisk and set aside
- If the Nutmeg is whole fine grate it until you have 1/2 tsp
- To prepare the 10 Cardamom Pods take one and bash with a pestle to split the shell. Scrape out the seeds from within carefully with the point of a knife. Place seeds into the mortar, repeat with all pods and grind them to release the flavours.
(If you do not have a Pestle & Mortar you can split with a rolling pin on a chopping board and then crush the seeds at the end by firmly rolling over them).
- In a mixing bowl measure out the 220 g Flour, 50 g Oatbran, 1 tsp Baking Powder, 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate Soda, 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon, crushed Cardamom Seeds & 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- Give the ingredients a dry mix to evenly combine
- Preheat Oven to Gas Mark 4
- Pour in the Milk/Vinegar
- Add the 75g Raisins
- Fold in with a large metal spoon
- Put the muffin cases into the tin & divide the mixture between them with two tablespoons
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- Put the muffins on a wire rack to cool. if you do not have one you may have one in your grill tray you can use
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes to prevent sticking.